On the 3rd January 2019, China’s unmanned Chang’e-4 probe touched down to explore the dark side of the moon. What is it about the dark side of the moon that so fascinates and intrigues us? And what relevance does it have to graphic design?
About the moon
The moon is tidally locked to our planet (i.e. Earth), meaning that the same side of the moon faces us at all times. Hence, we never get to see the far (read: dark to us) side of the moon.
However, the moon is still spinning in order to constantly point one face at us, so it experiences days and nights, with a moon ‘day’ lasting approximately two ‘earth weeks’.
So, the dark side of the moon is merely a relative concept – it is only dark from our perspective here on earth.
The dark side of graphic design
As soon as something is hidden from view, our mind starts to play tricks, and our imagination runs riot, as we conjure up all sorts of weird and wonderful scenarios.
Deciding to use a graphic designer to help build a business presence can seem like a step into the unknown, much like trying to imagine the dark side of the moon.
Typical questions at the outset include:
- How much will it cost?
- How do you ensure it will be effective?
- How do go about choosing the right design company?
Three challenging questions to ask of any design company. So here are three answers that pull no punches.
- Clear pricing – ask upfront about what is included in the estimate. How many changes can the client make before there are extra costs?
- The recognised benefits of good design in business success – see the Design Council’s report Leading Business by Design.
- Chose a company whose work you admire – talk to them and make a judgement on whether they are right for you by considering their relevant experience and design nous, rapport (can you imagine working with them), transparency regarding pricing and delivery of projects on time and budget.
What have you got to lose?
Just remember, a graphic designer can change your customer’s perspective on your business and take it to the moon…relatively speaking.
Get in touch with us today and let’s start a conversation about how we can be a part of your marketing success.